Sunday, April 19, 2009

Boys will be boys

I grew up as the oldest of six children with one brother and four sisters. My brother is 13 months younger than me (I now have 2 brothers, but Jason is 22 years younger than me, so I didn't grow up with him). I know how sisters treat each other, but I didn't have a clue how brothers treated each other. It's been a whole new experience having two boys and seeing how they interact with each other. Of course when I say interact with, I really mean beat on and wrestle with.

One time Andrew threw a matchbox car at Austin and made his head bleed. Andrew thought the blood was the coolest thing ever. They seem to be constantly wrestling and playing rough until someone starts crying. Then the boy who is not crying teases the one who is. It's never ending, and I hear it only gets worse....sigh.

Thursday night, the boys were suppose to be getting ready for bed. Instead, they were wrestling...again. Pretty soon Austin came out of the bedroom crying, complaining that his arm hurt. It looked fine and he had full range of motion, so Aaron gave him some Tylenol and put him in bed. Friday morning, Austin couldn't get out of bed because his arm hurt too much (he's on the top bunk). So I got him down and noticed how swollen his elbow was. Uh oh. Off to the emergency room we went. The diagnosis: broken elbow.

This isn't the first time he's broken a bone. He broke his left arm in October 2005 at daycare. This time it's his right elbow. The funny/ironic thing is that he's getting baptized in two weeks. They do make waterproof casts, but that's not the funny part. Aaron broke his arm when he was 8, right before his baptism too. Can you say "Like father, like son?"

Here's my skinny, little Austin posing for some pictures. He has a splint on now, but should get a cast later this week.



Friday night I had my brother and brother-in-law come over and give Austin a blessing. I'm so thankful for them and their willingness to come do that. Austin's doing great and isn't in much pain. In fact, I caught Andrew and Austin wrestling today on the couch. I guess boys will be boys, no matter what's broken!

No comments:

Post a Comment