Monday, March 14, 2011

Unexpected Thursday

Nowadays, you only need to leave stitches in for 5 days. Doctors like to pull them out before you get Frankenstein scars. So we went in on Wednesday afternoon and got Abbie's stiches out. The nurse put a little piece of surgical tape on her head where it bled and pulled apart a little as he took the stitches out. She was suppose to leave it on for a few days. Yeah, right. She pulled it off the next morning at preschool. Turns out that should have been the least of my worries that day.

Later that night, I went to my first Zumba class with my sister. Oh my gosh, that was a workout. I have no idea how the teacher can move like that!! The class was at 8 pm, so I got home a little after 9. I was sitting upstairs on the bed talking to Aaron, when I hear Ashley downstairs yell, "Mom! Abbie's bleeding!" So Aaron and I run downstairs, and Abbie's face is covered in blood. Apparently, she had moved the computer chair over to the entertainment center to try to get Austin's sucker off one of the top shelves, fell, and smacked her head on the shelves as she came down. Yep, our second trip to the ER in less than a week.

When we're checking into the ER, Aaron notices that it's not only her eye area that's bleeeding. There's blood on the back of her head. She had a puncture wound where she must have hit a corner. Yikes. The nurse who takes us back says, "You look really familiar. Weren't you just here the other day?" Yep, it's the same nurse we had on our last trip to the ER and she wasn't the only person to make a similar comment.

Abbie was smiling as usual and chatting it up with the nurses and doctor. I thought she would have been tired since it was after 10 pm by the time we were all settled in the room.



She managed to hit her head just right so that she pretty much had to get stitches where she just had them removed from her eyebrow. What are the chances of that?

We finally got to leave the hospital just after 1 am and little Abbie has 9 more stitches: 8 on her face and one on the back of her head. Yes, Aaron and I discussed putting her in a bubble or wrapping her in bubblewrap.

Here she is Friday morning, showing off her swollen eye. She never complains and always insists that it doesn't hurt. She's really good about making sure I put the antibiotic ointment on a couple times a day.


Here she is Sunday morning, sporting a nice black eye. It's getting more colorful as time goes by.


Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else will happen. You would think she would calm down a little after all this, but she's still full of energy. My sister-in-law and her family came over for dinner on Friday night, and Abbie spent all night chasing after her cousins. Crazy kid. And just for the record, I do NOT beat my child! Just felt that I needed to say that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment